Can I get a variation to the Council conditions re my house layout and size?

Possibly. If you wanted to get a few metres extra over and above the limit of the allowable house size for that section, you can approach Council and request a variation via a resource consent. A few metres is often acceptable. Other standard conditions may be varied depending upon the nature of it, for example set backs.